News & Resources

Taking a gap year to work abroad? Get your documents apostilled!
06 March 2020  | Hayley Levey

Taking a gap year to work abroad? Get your documents apostilled!

So you’ve decided to au pair in Europe or head East to go and teach, have you? The question is: have you had your South African documents properly legalised before you jet-off on your new adventure?

The person or company you intend on working for may require you to provide them with certain information or documents about yourself; for example a copy of your passport, your tertiary qualifications, South African Police Service clearance certificate, birth certificate etc. In order for you to be able to use your South African documents in another country, these documents will need to be verified in terms of the process known as legalisation.

Legalisation refers to the process whereby a document originating from one country is verified for purposes of it being lawfully used in another country. Depending on the destination country, your South African documents will either be legalised through the process of authentication or apostillisation.

VDT Attorneys can assist you to ensure that you start that new job knowing your documents are in order. Contact Hayley Levey on 012 - 452 1317 or send an e-mail to hayleyl@vdt.co.za for further assistance and information.

Related Services: